Making Bird Houses With Unused Material At HomeHere Are some creative ideas on converting unused or waste material into bird houses
- Bird House made of tiny sticks picked from the backyard
- Bird House Made with a peice of Bamboo
- Milk Carton converted into a birdhouse
- Shoe box converted into a bird house
- Waste Coconut shell made into a bird house
- Dry Gourd can be used as a bird house
- Bird house made using ice-cream sticks
- Old Cow boy boots converted into a bird house
- Bird box made using colorful packing tapes
- Old plastic bottle converted into bird house
- Bird house made of unused PVC Pipes
- Unused terracotta pot turned into bird house.
Methods to Attract Birds to Your Bird House
- Some gardening is Required
- Put up Bird House and Nest boxes
- Make Bird Feed available all the time
- Make fresh water Available
- Provide nesting material
Bird Box making Tips
- Material – Make sure the material you are using has not been pressure treated nor has not been painted with a paint containing lead – otherwise the toxic chemicals found can harm the birds that visit your birdhouse.
- Be sure the birdhouse opening is the right size for the species you wish to attract. If the opening is too large, predators will have easy access to the nest
- Choose natural colors so the birdhouse will blend into the surroundings. Browns and dark shades of green are the most suitable choices and will be the most attractive to birds. Never paint the interiors
Setting Up A Bird Bath That Attracts Birds
- Place your birdbath in the shade near plants or TREES.
- Clean sand or gravel on the bottom will provide more secure footing.
- The water should be no deeper than 1/2 to 1 inch at the edges, sloping to a maximum of 2 inches deep in the middle of the bath.
- Make your birdbath even more attractive by provide dripping water. Many birds find the sight and sound of moving water irresistible. Punch a tiny hole in the bottom of a plastic bottle, fill it with water, and hang it above the birdbath so the water drips into the bath.
Regular supply of Food and water to attract birds
- Set up your feeders in a quiet place where they are easy to see and convenient to refill.
- Tray Feeder is the easiest to make and also attracts lot of seed eating birds like pigeons, sparrows, starlings etc.
- Place a wide range of seeds like sun flower seeds, broken corn, flax seeds, broken peanuts, golden millets, canary seeds etc
- Place a bowl of drinking water near the feeding tray add few drops of water to keep the birds attracted
Providing Nesting Material
The term “nesting material” refers to anything that birds may use to construct a nest such as dry grass, twigs, Cotton balls, paper strips,fur, woollen thread, dry leaves etc.
providing adequate nesting material attracts birds because
The nesting material serves several purposes:
- Cushioning eggs from the ground and parents’ weight
- Insulating eggs from temperature changes
- Holding the clutch together for heat efficiency
- Camouflaging the nest from predators
- Protecting the nest from the elements
- To best protect their eggs, parent birds select nesting material carefully
Hence providing nesting material attracts birds.
- 50 Fun Ways Children Can Help With Environment Conservation
- wildlife week
- Wildlife Volunteering Opportunities around the World 2014
- List of Colleges and Universities Offering Wildlife Biology
- BANDIPUR NATIONAL PARK
- A Walk in the Jungle is a Natural Medicine
- Wild Animal Communication Methods
- NGO’s Working to Conserve Wildlife In Bandipur
- Civet POOP May Be Worth 30000 Rs a Kg
- Fascinating Frogs Found in Mudumalai Western Ghats